Sunday 7 April 2013

Painting Dark Angels the "Anton" Way...

As I'm currently ploughing though the 5th Company I thought a step by step might be useful for people looking for a quick and effective way to paint a 100 marines!

So once you've assembled your model spray it with Army painter angel green, I went straight over the plastic I didn't bother with a pre-coat of black or anything,


Once that's dried off I then mixed Caliban Green with some warpstone glow and dry brushed the whole model I did a couple of levels of highlight at this point.









Then I hit it with a Biel-tan green wash/shade,









Once the initial wash had dried I wasn't happy so went onto do another couple of washes to dull the green down, but if your doing salamanders or prefer your dark angels lighter looking then the single wash is fine.



Once I was happy with the armour I starter on the metals for the model using good old tin blitz,



At the same time I did the chest eagles and other boney type bits



Then it was back to the metal to finish that bit off,


At this point your glorious marines should look something like...



I used game colour gun metal and to give a old/different look I mixed some brassy brass into the gunmetal and put on the edges of the weapons and other areas to break up the flat surfaces, One thing that I haven't done is go for the "traditional" red guns mainly because I think they look pants.



so before I did the "details" I washed the metal with army painter strong tone (badbab black) and the boney bits with ogryn flesh.

So all that was left after this point was just the chapter symbol, the squad symbol and details like pouches, purity seals, the company symbol on the left knee pad and eyes, all easily done and once you've based the model in your preferred scheme your good to go!








So a nice and easy way to paint marines, using the new shades to full advantage, I've painted this lot using the above technique,




All I need to do is add the unit numbers, and in the mean time I have this lot left for the tactical squads to be finished off,




then its gonna be the mammoth task of the transports...




But I've had an idea with regards to the droppods so I'll be doing one as a test to see if my idea works then simply apply it to the rest of them.

As usual any comments etc pop them below,

7 comments:

  1. Nice and easy. Boy is that a lot of drop pods! o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its scarey how simple it is and for table top quality its great!

      Delete
  2. Looking good Ant! I'm actually doing something similar but with Ultramarines. Wish I hadnt bothered with edge highlighting mine and had drybrushed them instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your looking for some poor shmucks to share the load for building drop pods, I am happy to volunteer, as that stack of drop pods is INSANE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I press ganged my daughter into helping me, was great fun as the bases got named spiders in the end!

      Delete
  4. Looks really ez to do, not a fan of highlighting and I much perfer the highlights from a wash. Going to give it a shot today stoping by my local store to pick up some wash and hit the modeling tabel.

    ReplyDelete